Monday, March 15, 2010

Tuesday's Trivia

Did you know that when writing a screenplay, you can dictate the importance of each character based on their name?



For example, someone who has very little importance to the plot of the movie, yet has a speaking part, will simply have a title like "Janitor" or "Nurse." If there is more than one janitor, then there's "Janitor 1" and "Janitor 2."



Likewise, the main character is often assigned a first, middle and last name. This means that this character is crucial to the storyline. And then lesser characters may have a first and last name, and even lesser characters just a first name.



Kind of cool?



So, what does it mean then if yours truly has 5 names? Allow me to tell you what my names mean to me:



Kristina (aka Kristy): Heritage. On both sides of my family there is either a Christin(e/a) or a Christian in every generation dating back generation upon generation. I am the last to date. Gracey's middle name is Christine and technically my sister or my cousins could still have a child and continue the tradition.



Ruth: Fairy Godmother/Angel. Ruth was my mom's mom, my Baba. I was very, very close to her and though she died 15 years ago, I still miss her everyday. I think of her as my Fairy Godmother, as my own personal Angel.



Louise: Perseverance. Louise was my dad's step-mom, however since she raised him and his brothers, she was just "mom" to him and "grandma" to us. Two weeks after Grandma married Grandpa, he shipped off to Korea, leaving her with 3 wild hooligan sons. She had no children of her own and was the sweetest woman you'd ever meet. When parenting gets hard, I think of Grandma. If she could survive those 3 boys, I can survive my 2 kids.



Wolfer: Home. Growing up I hated my last name. No one could pronounce it right. It always came out "woofer." I always had to spell it. But now that we live in "Wolfer Country" -- my dad's family is from Linton -- I feel like I've come home.



Rose: True love. I know I'm lucky to have such a lovely married name even if the clerk at Gateway pharmacy continually asks me for my last name even after I've said "Rose." And most folks up here think "Kristy Rose" is my given name. Perhaps because of the Catholic heritage?Every rose has its thorns; this one is no exception, nor is the one I married. I found true love the moment I read Scott's first email some 11 years ago.



So now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment