Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Happy Easter! Though I always thought it would be more appropriate to say "Happy Resurrection Day!" So there you go. Happy Resurrection Day and Happy Easter.

We had a good day today despite my having a migraine and subsequent temper tantrum. Oh well. That's what Easter is about, right? New beginnings? My migraine finally departed.

One thing that struck me today was solemnity. Many, many folks were dressed in dark suits (women included) in church today as though they were going to a funeral. And even when we sang my favorite Easter hymn "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" it was so morose. We also sang "Did you feel the mountains tremble?" and it was like everyone was in a stupor of mourning. I wanted to get up on stage and say, "People! Did you not get the memo? He's alive!"

I've been reflecting upon this a lot today. Is it catholic guilt? I know a lot of people in our church were raised catholic and maybe their solemnity is a hold-over from the upbringing. Or was there something else going on in church this morning? I don't remember it being so morose last year, but then I was pregnant and sick, so you can't rely on my memory.

In any case, it was very upsetting. I actually left church depressed, bored and out-of-sorts. I don't know what was going on there today. But I'm pretty sure when God transplanted us to ND, He sent us to this church for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. You will have to visit us some Saturday evening...we are small in number, but man, can we SING!

    Easter is my favorite, and I'm sorry it was a downer for you this year. That happened with me one year, and I know exactly how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy--

    I've kind of been in a similar mood and don't know why-Easter should be a time of rejoicing so that just makes me frustrated with myself. I am better today and my favorite hymn is also Christ the Lord is Risen Today.

    I also know first hand that Easter is a time of miracles-my mom is my Easter miracle. That's when she had her liver transplants. Two years ago on Easter Sunday was when she had her breathing tube removed and was able to talk to us.

    ReplyDelete