Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Indeed






I've long been a fan of Thanksgiving. Of course I'm a lover of all holidays, but Thanksgiving holds special memories for me. Growing up, we often spent turkey day in Hawai'i with loads of extended family. Baba (my grandmother for those who don't know) would bring a suitcase full of food including the turkey itself. On Thanksgiving morn, we'd go to the beach and in the afternoon, we'd go to Baba's condo and have Thanksgiving dinner. Later, after our mandatory naps, we'd spend the evening in the pool and hot tub. Once I got into high school, though, it became more difficult to escape to Hawai'i. Completely distraught, I convinced my mom and Baba to have a Thanksgiving Luau. For the next ten years, we had themed Thanksgivings: Hoe-down, Mickey Mouse Club, Victorian, Wine country, Mardi Gras etc. It was fun. Scott even proposed on Thanksgiving 2000. Since moving to the prairie, our Thanksgiving celebration is much smaller. Gone are the hoards of people (more than once we had 42 people) and the eight or nine desserts I used to make. Yet I feel more grateful than ever.

This year, like every year, we have much for which to be grateful. Scott starts a new job on Monday. Praise God. Both of my kids are healthy. Praise God. The weather is gorgeous. Praise God. I am content and happy in life. Praise God. When Scott and I married, I bought a plaque to hang on our door. It simply said, "Plenty." And that my dear friends sums it up. We have plenty for which to be grateful. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanksgivings Past:

1 comment:

  1. You have some great memories! I though, am loving prairie Thanksgivings! Plenty, what a content type of word! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete