Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween, Election and other Ramblings

Our first halloween as a complete family was a total dream come true. Adam dressed as Capt Jack Sparrow and Gracie was Sleeping Beauty. Yes, this Disney-crazed mommy had a pirate and a princess. It was perfect. Well, as perfect as a ridiculous holiday like halloween can be. Neither Scott nor I are big on the holiday mostly because of its pagan beginnings but also because it's turned into a commericalized nightmare of death. Okay that's a little harsh but you get the point. Growing up, halloween wasn't a big deal at my house. My sister and I dressed up for our school's Harvest Day Parade but our costumes had to be historical, literary, animal or Biblical. I remember dressing as Delilah one year complete with giant scissors made from foil and cardboard. Another year my friends and I were Job's daughters. The entire 3rd grade class always went as an Indian tribe while the entire 4th grade class was cowboys/girls. I was Queen Elizabeth in 5th grade and in 6th grade my friends and I dressed as a wedding party based on the book "My Sister's Wedding." I only remember dressing up for five halloweens since then: a pirate, little red riding hood, Cinderella, the Fairy Godmother and when I was teaching I dressed as a Hawaiian tourist. Scott, on the other hand, says he was halloween crazed. Evidently he and his friends would do huge haunted houses and even had a funeral procession one time. So weird.
Anyway, that was last week. This week there was the election. Bah humbug. All I can say is now it's my turn to complain about the president over the next four years. No seriously, God is in control and there is nothing that Obama can do to me or this country that can snatch His grace and goodness from me. I'd really like to vent about his win, but I'll just take a deep breath and pray instead.
Huh. When I sat down to write, I had a lot to say. Then I got up to get the power cord for my failing laptop battery and forgot what it was I wanted to tell you. So I'll just call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment