Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Trust & Obey

Last week, Scott and I were presented with yet another opportunity to "trust and obey." We were at a crossroads in our business and incidentally our faith. And frankly, we were weary with frustration, confused by our choices and in general, overwhelmed. As the week wore on we sought God's leading, begging Him to give us a sign, close a door, open a window, something, anything! But, He was strangely quiet. We've been together nine years and this certainly isn't the first time we've had to make a life-altering decision. But in times past, we've walked confidently down the path we knew God was leading. Moving to North Dakota is a perfect example. We knew in the instant Scott suggested North Dakota that God was calling us here and seven months later, we walked into our new home. But this time was different. There were no sure signs, no internal leadings, no audible voice. And so, on Friday as I emptied the dishwasher, a phrase slipped into my mind: When God is Quiet. I stopped emptying the dishwasher and began writing and consequently crying (I do that a lot lately -- it's gotta be hormones). Anyhow, while I was writing, I realized we were on a walk of blind faith. And no sooner did I share this with Scott did the phone ring. In reality the person on the other end was a customer for whom Scott had quoted a job. But in my mind, it was God. The silence was broken.

That night we attended Good Friday service. I sat through the service shushing Adam every two seconds and constantly shifting in my seat to stop Rosebud from stepping on my bladder. When the closing prayer came, I won't lie, I was ready to go. But that's when the speaker quoted these lyrics from a popular BarlowGirl song:
I believe in the sun even when it's not shining
I believe in love even when I don't feel it
And I believe in God even when He is silent

I couldn't get my pen to write fast enough. Scott just smiled at me. I've since looked up the lyrics from the song. You can read them here. And listen to the song here.

Turns out this wasn't the only blessing in store for us last week-end. Read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment