Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I have to drive in this stuff?!?

Our first real snow fell yesterday and we got a bit more than we expected. It was only supposed to be an inch or so, but we ended up with three. It's so gorgeous and serene.

Yesterday was my first ever attempt at driving in the snow. When I left home at 8:40am for an Avon function, I was anxious about how it would go. The drive there was a breeze as we only had about a quarter-inch of snow. As I watched the snow fall from the window in our meeting room, I became more anxious about my drive home. At 4pm, I finally left for home and trudged through the snow in my high-heeled boots (dumb idea). When I got to my car and saw the pile of snow covering it from fender to fender, I just laughed. Here I am, a California girl, in the snow in stylish boots, knit dress and leather jacket trying to figure out how to get all that snow off my car. It was nearly ankle high in some points. With nothing else in my car to do the job, I used a magazine to swipe the snow from the windows and got in before my toes froze to the faux leather. Honestly, the wind wasn't blowing, so it was only in the low 30s and not that cold. After a call to Scott and a prayer to the good Lord above, I started home. Everyone was driving 10-15 miles slower than the speed limit and being very cautious. This comforted me a little. Then, I turned down 7th street and started to cry. The trees, cars and lawns were covered in snow and it was so pretty. I was reminded again about how much I love this place. In the end, it took me a few minutes longer to get home, but it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.

Today, I made another friend! Hooray! Adam and I are going to her house for a play date and coffee on Friday. They just moved here a year ago from New York and live about three miles from us. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment