Monday, June 6, 2011

Transparent

One of the many things I'm learning during this flood crisis is that people have a want and a need to help other people. Depriving them by refusing to accept help hurts us as much as it hurts them. Of course, in order to accept the help you need to be transparent and vulnerable.

Witnessing the kindness and generosity of friends, family and strangers during these last two weeks has truly humbled me. And it's taught me that it's okay to be vulnerable. It's okay to be transparent.

These days it doesn't take much for me to wear my heart on my sleeve. Every failure is met with tears but so is every victory. Each glimmer of hope is written on my face as is every doubt.

Maybe it's just because I don't have the energy to conceal my emotions right now. But I don't think that's it at all. I think it's because I'm learning that people need to see others at their worst so they realize that it's okay to be broken, hurting, mad, sad, and scared. And it also helps keep our own problems in perspective.

During a particularly rough patch, someone gave me advice that I have kept in mind recently:

You go through what you go through so you can help others go through what you went through.

1 comment:

  1. I learned this when pregnant with the twins. I lean red to just say yes when people offered to help. At first, I felt like a failure, and then, I realized that it ws Christ working though those people. Hugs. Diet coke in my living room, whenever!

    ReplyDelete