Sunday, June 21, 2009

Did Jesus Multi-Task?

Yesterday a friend texted me from church. When I commented that she must not be paying attention, she said she was multi-tasking and that Jesus multi-tasked. This gave me pause.

When I reflect on all I've read about Jesus, I can't think of one instance of multi-tasking. Yes, He was busy but in every endeavor, He was wholly present. It is nearly impossible to have that kind of presence while multi-tasking. Think about it. When you're blogging, watching TV and talking to your husband, does any one of those tasks have your full attention? No. You've parsed yourself out to your tasks. And more than that, multi-tasking indicates hurry. Good or bad, I multi-task often. But I do so because I'm hurrying to accomplish many things in a short amount of time. And if you've followed my blog for awhile, you know that often in my multi-tasking madness, I make stupid mistakes. Sorry, I digress. I can't think of a time when Jesus was in a hurry. He was thoughtful, present, and attentive. Sorry, that doesn't qualify as multi-tasking to me.

Now, this friend then pointed out that Jesus is at work in all our lives at the same time therefore He is multi-tasking. Okay. But to assign the label "multi-tasking" to His omniscience and omnipotence seems well sacriligious.

So, if you ask me, no, Jesus did not and does not multi-task. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment